Save Your Estate

Why should the government or anyone else direct what happens with your estate assets? Why should a court, a stranger, or someone other than your choice make the medical and financial decisions for you if you become sick and incapacitated? Why should anyone other than your spouse, life partner, or the one you choose make the decisions about your illness, hospital visits, your funeral and what happens to your estate?

My Photo

Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax) is a tax and business attorney practicing since 1976. Ron is a Graduate of Georgetown University, the University of Kansas and the Georgetown University Law Center. He also studied at Exeter University, UK.

Ron protects business and individual taxpayers from IRS Audits, Tax Collections (including bank levies, wage executions) and IRS Appeals. Employee vs. Independent Contractor Issues, Manufacturer, Pharmaceutical and Restaurant and Pizza audits are a special area of emphasis.

Monday, November 29, 2004

What to do when Parent Dies without a Will

Category: Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
Location: NJ
Subject: Power of Attorney

My father passed away without a will and without any one given power of attorney. My siblings are in agreement as to who should be given power of attorney in handling my father's estate which consists of a life insurance policy and a house in Villas, New Jersey, I would like to know can this be accomplished by way of obtaining any forms and filing them with the state, because the insurance company that my father had home owners insurance with will not divulge any information pertaining to the policy and we are trying to determine if he had mortgage insurance so we can better determine what we can do about the house.

Thank you,

Category: Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
Location: NJ
Subject: Re: Power of Attorney

Once a person has died, a Power of Attorney is no longer effective. You need to get the estate Administered by making an application with the Surrogate's Court. A waiver will need to be signed by each potential Administrator. Once the Letters of Administration have been granted by the Surrogate, you can present the Certificate to the Insurance Company, Mortgage Company, and Banks to get the money available in the accounts. I would be happy to assist you if you have further questions.
Ron Cappuccio
856 665-2121